Thursday, December 26, 2013

Tis the Season with Mariah Carey

There is no better way to describe my feelings about the Christmas Season than with Mariah Carey's Christmas song. In case you live in a rock and haven't heard the song, here you go!

All I want for Christmas is my family. It was hard not being home for the holiday season. One of my favorite things is taking Sunday naps on the couch in the living room with Christmas music playing, the family tree lit, and with my mom cooking in the kitchen. I didn't get to experience that, but I made it home just in time for Christmas! I already knew I loved being with my family but being at school made me appreciate them so much more! 
On Christmas Eve I always spend the first half with my Uncle Jason (my dad's side). Sometimes my other family from that side is there, and for the past few years my dad's other brother, Uncle Steve, was there. I also got to see my cousin. It is always great to spend time with them because, us Neills, have a type of humor that only other Neills can appreciate. I eventually came home to enjoy the Christmas Eve gathering at my home. Tradition has been made that the Nemnich side of the family comes over for our festive celebration. My house is on the smaller end of the scale, therefore on Christmas Eve my house is FILLED. Despite the two cousins, who are on missions, not being there I still had a great time. I really enjoy seeing my niece. She is just too cute and my mommy sense start to tingle. 
Christmas morning starts off with just my household (mom, Doug, Uncle Byron, and I). We do stockings and open the gifts we exchange between one another. We don't even get out of our PJs, so we all look pretty ratchet every year. After all that we normally relax, help mom with some last minute food prep before the family comes over. We always have the Solis family with us, along with my step siblings, and of course my niece! I have personally made it my responsibility to be her personal paparazzi. 
With all this fun, there was still one person on my mind, who couldn't join us. While opening my household Christmas gifts I opened up this ornament from my mom. It holds so much meaning to me.  My Aunt Tammy was filled with just as much holiday spirit as my mom and I. She was always wearing Christmas colors this time of year, accompanied with some Christmas brooch. Anyways, back to the ornament. Every year since I was born my Aunt Tammy gave me a Precious Moments Ornament for one of my Christmas gifts. Her big thing was that it had to have the year on it. Last year she said this Christmas (2013) would be the last year I got my Precious Moments ornament since I was an adult now. Needless to say, her giving it to me wasn't going to happen this year. I was delighted and struck with a mixture of grief and remembrance of my Aunt when I got my "last" ornament from my Mom. We found it very ironic that this year the ornament with the year on it was an angel. I don't think her passing will get any easier anytime soon, but one day I can enjoy an eternity of Christmases with her. 
Don't take your family for granted, and the time you have with them. The love of Christ lives within our family. 
Happy Holidays!
With Love,
Ciara Ann





No comments:

Post a Comment