Friday, April 20, 2012

Oh my memories (3/3)

Today was an incredible day. It was the National Day of Silence! What is the Day of Silence you may ask? The Day of Silence is a student-led national event that brings attention to anti-LGBT name-calling, bullying and harassment in schools. Students from middle school to college take a vow of silence in an effort to encourage schools and classmates to address the problem of anti-LGBT behavior by illustrating the silencing effect of bullying and harassment on LGBT students and those perceived to be LGBT. I knew I had to do this in style! and with a bang!! I didn't think in advance to buy a shirt, so with help of Uncle Byron I made one.
Then I made 25 bracelets to pass out to students, so that they could show their support, even if they were not being silent. Uncle Byron was kind enough to make even more when I was sleeping, so I had 64 total. They were simple, just one rainbow bead, but it was amazing, and all 64 were given away!
Then I of course took pictures along the way..in silence!
Let me tell you, being silent is not easy! I wanted to talk so much!! What if I couldn't love who I wanted to love? And my voice was never heard again? I may be a proud steadfast Mormon, but I am also a believe that God loves everyone. I don't want to go in detail about my opinions, because that could offend some. All in all it is private too. Sometimes, you are the loudest when you are silent. People will notice ME more if I am not talking, because that is unusual. I know for sure that I effected someone. Thank you to everyone who wore a bracelet today. One day everyone will think like us! My day was finished nicely with a Mammoth game! Tomorrow is ACT study time at Marissa's house with pj pants, and out favorite blankies. I can't believe ACT is Tuesday! I can remember watching Freaky Friday when I was younger, and wondering what is the big deal about this ACT! It is close to summer! I can feel it in the air, and I wan't to be done with school, not just for the year either. I want to be getting my diploma, but then again, I wouldn't trade these moments for any time travel in the world. I just need to stay focused and...
'nuff said Ciara

No comments:

Post a Comment