Monday, August 19, 2013

Shutterspeed

It is no secret that photography is a hobby of mine. It is something that I know I will always keep pursuing. I started using a small pocket sized camera, and I got pretty good that way. Now with having a DSLR camera the possibilities seem infinite.
I have complained about this before but I really do hate how much stigma my generation creates around photography. Before, film was so expensive making photography an expensive hobby. Now with the instant availability of a camera on any device has made everyone feel like they are a photographer. Instagram sure doesn't help the matter. It just makes me want to improve my portfolio that much more so people can take me seriously and weed me out from the overpopulated field of "photographers."
You see, my favorite type of photography is portraits. It is just the reaction I get from my subject when they see themselves that makes it so worth it. It probably roots back to my mission to increase self worth. Sometimes I really do feel like with a click of a button I am changing how people see themselves, and having that type of potential is just overwhelming. It reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite portrait photographers Annie Leibovitz, "Sometimes I enjoy just photographing the surface because I think it can be as revealing as going to the heart of the matter."

A good photograph is one where the viewer can have insight into the soul and personality of the subject I am capturing. This summer I have had some Senior picture jobs. My philosophy of capturing their soul through their external surface has been more prevalent than ever. When their friends, family, classmates, or teachers look back on their senior picture, I want them to remember the internal spirit of that person.
Enough jibber jab, here are some of my favorites from two seniors this year.



Check out my portfolio some time; cneillportfolio.weebly.com
With Love,
Ciara Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment