Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Best Thing About Me is......

YOU! I love this song by my man, Ricky Martin, so much. It may be a love balled, but it doesn't change how the song makes me thing about my Mom. I keep talking about how much I already, or am, going to miss my friends but, none of them compare to mi madre. She has been there for me through it all. She was there in those awful middle school years, when others let me down, when I thought I was rebellious, through my random emotional breakdowns, through all my (and my friends) late night study session, and will my supporting character through this chapter in my life and all other unwritten parts of my story.

I found this talk from my Church's General Conference, by  back in April of 2010. There were a few points in that talk about what a mother daughter bond should be, so I would like to share these.
"Her primary observation after each trip is how much the young women behave like their mothers. If the mothers are thrifty, so are their daughters. If the mothers are modest, so are the girls. If the mothers wear flip-flops and other casual clothing to sacrament meeting, so do their daughters. Mothers, your example is extremely important to your daughters—even if they don’t acknowledge it."My mother has always set the example for me. I mean come on, we are the thrifty due! LOL. Besides that, she taught me the basics of fashion like to be weather appropriate, flip flops are to casual for anything, and accessories are a curvy girls best friend!

"Teach your daughters to find joy in nurturing children. This is where their love and talents can have the greatest eternal significance. Consider in this context President Harold B. Lee’s injunction that “the most important … work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own homes
My desire for wanting to be a homemaker most defiantly comes from my mom. She may have worked during the day, but her love for nurturing the home never fell short. I may be her only child, but I always knew how much my loved babies, and that the family unit is essential in building Heavenly Father's kingdom

"And so, my dear young women, with all my heart I urge you not to look to contemporary culture for your role models and mentors. Please look to your faithful mothers for a pattern to follow. Model yourselves after them,not after celebrities whose standards are not the Lord’s standards and whose values may not reflect an eternal perspective. Look to your mother. Learn from her strengths, her courage, and her faithfulness. Listen to her. She may not be a whiz at texting; she may not even have a Facebook page. But when it comes to matters of the heart and the things of the Lord, she has a wealth of knowledge."
It is ironic that this was in the talk after my rant a post from Sunday. Hardworking, loving, reserved (HAHA), and creative are all things that make my mother my role model. I bet there are some celebrities out there with those same qualities, but the difference is that my mom uses it in accordance with the standards of the church. Anyone can be hardworking, but not all can be hardworking towards the right things. In these next stages in life I won't be calling her for computer or cell phone help, but I will be relying on her wisdom of cooking, patience, and so many other things I never thought I would need help on.

I may not be daughter of the year sometimes, and she may think that I blow her off every time she brings up cooking or other tips on maintaining a home, but... "Let me assure you that even when you think your daughter is not listening to a thing you say, she is still learning from you as she watches you to see if your actions match your words."

Follow the link below for a copy of the talk I used this from.
 http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/04/mothers-and-daughters?lang=eng

It doesn't have to be mothers day for you to love and appreciate your mom.
With Love,
Ciara Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment