Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My Sketch Book

My fellow IB art students will know what I am talking about, but our sketch books (or better known as IWB) were emphasized as a crucial part of our art journey. It isn't only for drawing out new ideas, but to record inspiration, artist research, and document the process through each of our pieces. This was really something I enjoyed, so I filled up two sketchbooks. Here are some pages from my past two sketchbooks, so you get a better idea on what I am talking about!

There is no need is hiding the fact that my art has improved so much over my last 2 years in high school. My thinking process as an artist evolved, as well as my inspirations. As you go through my sketch books you can see this change. It really is like a journal for me. You can see my interest change as my subjects for my pieces change. Even though I am out of IB art I still want to keep a sketch book with me that I can use to document such inspirations and artistic processes. My oldest friend, Anna, and I went to Micheals so I could get my new sketch book. We both chose one with plain white covers so we could decorate the covers as we wish.
Towards the end of my senior year I got into stencils and working with an exacto knife, so I knew I wanted to make a stencil to paint on the front cover. I made a drawing over the summer of a flowly dress becoming the waves of the ocean, and this is the concept I wanted to put on the front. Here was the original first draft idea where I was just starting to test this concept.


I originally had the a scarf draped on the girl, and the scarf acted as the horizon for sunset. I decided to abandon this and what the front cover turned out like is on the left. I wanted to continue the dress unto the back cover, so when you opened it, the design was continues. Here is the final product.










I love the turnout, and I am excited to continue my art journey! Don't worry, I have already gotten to work recording my summer art journey full of furthering my portrait photography skills and diving into digital art!

With Love,
Ciara Ann

1 comment: