Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Shimmer, Sparkle, Shine

Today's blog post is a rough draft of my original oratory speech for the 2011-2012 Debate and Speech Year. It may change as competing comes along, but here is where its at right now. Give me feedback!
Shimmer, Sparkle, Shine:
Look at me, my eyebrows are too thick, my lips are too small, and don't even get me started about my weight. But you know what? I am not the only one who feels like this. According to the Real Pressure National Study, 62% of all girls feel insecure about them self, and lack self confidence. This is only a problem that needs our attention now, as opposed to later. Most people are under the impression that the lack of self confidence is a problem presented in teens, but studies show that self esteem issues start at a much younger age. At age 9, 50% of girls claim they are on a diet, and 80% of girls ages 12-13 claim to be on a diet as well. According to the Girl Scout Research Institute, one third of girls between 9 and 12 consider themselves overweight. If girls are training themselves at such a young age to think less of them self, then how is society ever going to grow as a whole to feel more confident. In order to start fixing this problem we need to know what self confidence exactly is. There is 7 Traits of Self Esteem created by the National Association of Self Esteem that shows signs of high confidence. The first trait is that the individual is friendly. This can refer to the low self esteem girls we have all faced in middle school, or even high school. The so called "popular" girls often pick on others in order to feel better about them self. May sound cliche but it is true. The second trait is having lots of energy. Most people lacking self esteem are often lethargic,and not willing to do anything. Now the third trait of self esteem is to smile often, pretty self explanatory. Trait number four is that high confidence individuals are less likely to feel "under the weather", they present a natural healthy glow in them self. When girls get together on a Friday night for a sleepover with their best friends forever they often body bash together.
"I am so fat you guys."
"No your not, you are so pretty."
"Stop lying to me, you have to say that. Your my best friend."
"No i don't, and besides. Look at me, I am much fatter then you."
"No your not.." And this could go on for hours, which leads me to High Self Esteem Trait number 5. Confident girls often talk good about themselves. Now for years our grandparents, aunts, uncles, and parents have always said you are who you hang out with, and it is very true. Trait number six is that confident people attract other confident and positive people. Trait number seven is simple. Confident people can be independent and take risk. They don't need others to be happy. Since we know what self confidence is, now we can start fixing the problem and build high self esteem of girls everywhere. Wait, there is a step we must do before we do that. We need to build confidence in ourselves. I have a saying I have always used since I was in middle school that helps me when I am feeling down. It is the 3 Ss. Shimmer, Sparkle, Shine. Your probably wondering how can this help me feel better? Its easy. First, Shimmer. Dress to how you want to feel. If you dress your best then you feel your best, and you just shimmer inside and out. Second is Sparkle. Be nice to others, and always try to be positive. If you do this then you will sparkle to others. If you shimmer and sparkle, then the third S will happen naturally. SHINE!! Let yourself shine to the world, and everyone will love who you are. Now, since we know our 3 S trick, we can help build confidence in others. The key is to start young and simple. Tell younger girls how pretty they are, and let them be themselves around you, it makes them grow up more confident in the long run. When you talk down to yourself in the presence of younger girls you set that standard that it is okay to do that to yourself. Therefore the next time your about to body bash in front of younger girls, do the old saying, ZIP your lips. All these are great ways to build confidence in individuals, but there is one step that can be a tremendous help to solving this problem. It may seem extremely easy to you, or extremely hard but is is something we all do. (Points around room) You do it, and you, and you, and myself. Gossip. Simply don't gossip about other girls. We all do it, and we can never put a permanent stop to it since were human, but we can decrease the amount of gossip were partake in. Remember whatever you say eventually gets back to the person, and it only makes me feel worse about who they are. We have all been there and it does not feel very good. So like the old wise tale; Think before you speak. So next time you are feeling down put on your cutest outfit, stand in front of the mirror, smile, and embrace who you are. My mom's heroic friend Shari, who recently went through chemo therapy for Ovarian Cancer once told me something that has always stuck since, god put you into your body for a reason. Embrace it, and as I often say, SHIMMER, SPARKLE, SHINE!!

That is it guys. I love my speech!! Give me feedback. I think I will do great this season!

1 comment:

  1. First, thanks for the shout-out :-) Also, this makes me incredibly proud of the woman I see you becoming.

    ReplyDelete